Sunday, June 10, 2012

Prep Time

So I'm about 8 weeks into my third (!) pregnancy and wanted to do a better job this time of chronicle-ing (and really, the fact that I've even started this puts me miles ahead of what I did with Sam and Abi, so I'm already feeling pretty proud of myself!).

Today I am 112.6 lbs and still feeling good.  Obviously not showing yet.


I found out about our newest little one on Saturday, May 26th, in the morning.  My friends Liz, Grant, and their son Leo were in town, and I was a couple of days late so decided I would pee on a stick, just to make sure I wasn't, you know, "with child."
 

The second line popped up instantly, and so I figured that must be the sign for a negative test.  Obviously, the test showed the answer key, but misprints happen all the time, so I went straight to the "Instructions for Interpretation" on the box.  I looked at the box, and lo and behold, two lines meant positive.  "Ok," I thought, "I must have only seen one line then."  Looked back at the test - no doubt about it, 2 vertical lines.  "Yep, two must mean negative," and then back at the box again, and so on and so on 3 or 4 more times until I finally said Wow, OK, and went back to bed.  I told Scott, who said, "Really?"  So I thought I should check one more time and got out of bed.  Same scenario played out - two lines really does mean positive.  I was floored.  This was definitely a surprise.

In the few minutes that followed the realization that the test meant what it said it did, I had a thousand different emotions.  I was excited, because, well, I've always wanted a third.  I was aggravated, because this was definitely going to cut into my marathon-training plans.  I felt helpless - although that's not the right word - because I felt like I would have chosen a different time.  Then I felt a pleasant sense of surrender, like, this must be God's plan for me and my family, because He clearly wanted me to be pregnant NOW.  I naturally got worried, because I had had a few drinks with friends the weekend before, and had no idea how far along I was.  I was annoyed that we had literally, just a few months ago, given away a ton of baby stuff, and that I had just bought some really cute new clothes that weren't going to fit much longer.  I started thinking how Sam and Abi are going to be so, so excited and then I felt nostalgic because I only have a few (9 is a few, right?) months left where it's just the 4 of us.  Then, of course, because I am a typical girl, I felt guilty, for feeling anything other than excited and ecstatic about this amazing news.

Since then, the dominant emotion has become giddy excitement, although I won't pretend that the other feelings don't come into play fairly regularly.  We've told our parents, Liz, and my sister, and their reactions have been priceless.  I'll be sure to write about those another time.  So far, I've felt good.  Little bits of nausea which I'm sure are 100% psychological.  Cravings which are also 100% psychological (hot wings, Milano cookies, and popsicles, to name a few - things that I would like anyway but since I'm pregnant they must represent something abnormal).  Last weekend I ran a 5K in under 28 minutes, so I'm not completely deconditioned yet - although I will say it's been extremely difficult to regulate my body temperature - it is so HOT!

I've had 2 unofficial OB appointments - mainly to try to get dates nailed down.  The ultrasound on Friday (June 8th) put me at somewhere between 7-8 weeks, although the baby is so stinking small right now it's not really possible to date accurately.  We did, however, see a couple of VERY reassuring things: 1) a healthy heartbeat! 2) a normal-looking yolk sac, and 3) the presence of only ONE little peanut in there (I have to admit, I was terrified there might be a team growing!).  The OB also said to tell Scott he saw a giant dong, but alas, that part is not really true - much to Scott's disappointment.

We haven't told Sam and Abi yet, but need to soon, so they can start getting excited (and so they don't hear it from someone else).  I know we have a lot of time still, but something tells me the next 32 weeks (give or take) are going to fly by.

No comments:

Post a Comment